Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Full Sentences!

It might seem odd to be so excited about someone speaking in full sentences since I'm not a mother...but my students are my Kiddos and I'm incredibly excited that almost all of my preliterate students are speaking in full sentences in English. This is tremendous. They've only been in America for 3-6 months and most have never been to school before.
It took until May last year to see this type of progress with some of my students.
I'm not talking about the memorized phrases that students learn just by assimilating into American culture, such as, "Miss, may I go to the restroom?"
I'm talking about students conveying their thoughts and feelings! They are fully into the beginning stages of not just learning language, but manipulating language to serve a purpose!
Monday was such a fun afternoon. I was teaching the students about daily routines and asking them what time they eat dinner, go to bed, etc. And the students were able to joke and tease each other. In ENGLISH!
And the first notable sentence from my kiddo that is struggling the most came in this conversation:
Me: "Time for lunch. Good-bye! Have a good lunch!"
Student: "No Ms. No good lunch in the cafeteria!" With giggling.

I wish you could meet my students personally. I know it doesn't seem like much - but the little girl that said that has seemed like one of the saddest little girls I've ever met. She didn't like school. She'd never had an opportunity for school as a refugee. She had no confidence. And now she is learning to read, write and speak in English!

Praise God for the growth I see in my students. It's not by my strength or wisdom but HIS. Sometimes, it seems like the days only grow more and more tedious. But I'm confident that He has given me the wisdom I need to teach these kids. So the early Christmas gift I'm grateful for this year is....Full Sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment