Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Dairy Free for Me!

I'm super pumped about this book and its companion website. Read below to find out why!

Ok, so here's the scoop (the soy scoop of course - NOT the ice cream scoop) :)


When I was 12, I started getting sick a LOT. Tons of sinus issues, a sinus surgery, lots of medicines, yet I was still nasally and miserable (as was my sister that I kept up all night with coughing and snoring). Love you sis, for still loving me!
A year later, we finally figure out that I'm allergic to dairy (whey protein to be exact). One day not eating anything dairy, I feel healed. Amazing. I can breathe! My throat doesn't feel like Hades! My headache is gone! Wait. Milk is my favorite thing in the world. How am I going to survive?
Ok, so at that point I was just glad I wasn't allergic to the cat <3 and started off on my journey to becoming completely dairy free. This was a long road that included hiding bags of cheetos in the computer cabinet to scarf down when no one was looking, deciding that sweets like cheese cake and cookies were exempt from the 'do not eat' list, and pretending that anything chocolate obviously would never make me sick. And yes, I still struggle with that last one...or two. But I haven't had a Cheeto in at least 3 years. Pinkie promise.

Now that I was dairy free, my family helped me discover some alternatives; the few that existed at the time. I had a very limited selection of soy and rice milk and nothing else. It took me about 2-3 years to actually start liking the stuff. Then to my amazement about 5 years ago the soy/rice/dairy alternative market exploded! I've learned to cook pretty well without milk during that time and have even learned to make my own version of "cream of _______" soups to use in common recipes. Go me!

But one thing I've still always hated is people’s reactions.

"Oh you can't eat milk, that's terrible. How do you live with that?"

Seriously. What am I supposed to say?

"Yes, it sucks. I'd rather be allergic to a food I hate, like peas." Or,
"I am jealous of that ice cream cake on your plate, just for the record."

No, I can't do that. I try not to make people feel bad for enjoying their dairy.

"It's not that bad, I've learned to live with it and there are great alternatives."

Ok, and that's the truth. Although deep down, sometimes I just want to stamp my foot like a five year old, whine, and taste whatever delish dish everyone else is enjoying, I'm ok with it. For the most part…

My husband has been an awesome support through all this. He lets me cook everything dairy free and raves about how good it is (even when it's not that tasty). He actually likes a lot of dairy free things I make and encourages me to embrace my dairy free lifestyle.
Now for why I'm super pumped about this website. Numero uno: I’m excited to have more recipes that don’t take all day and broaden my dairy free repertoire. Y dos: I'm excited to make foods for people that they'll have no idea are dairy free - and when they're in love and want the recipe - let them know "no cows were involved in this meal." YES! My desire to prove to myself and others for good that dairy free is not that bad. Actually, it's pretty good in some cases!

So, if you're feeling adventurous, let me know and Michael and I will invite you over for a dairy free dinner. If you're lucky, I might even let you have the recipe :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment